[bestbits] [governance] Re: Call for nominations for civil society representatives for the IGF Multistakeholder Advisory group (MAG)

Daniel Pimienta pimienta at funredes.org
Mon Sep 22 15:12:57 EDT 2014

>I support all the issues that Deirdre raises and
>would benefit immensely from hearing about
>solutions for the problems she presents.

Mishi,

Back, beetween 2000 and 2005, we have been (quite
succesfully I would say from the many
evaluations) experimenting methodologies for what
we called "Distance Participation" in the project
MISTICA (Methodologies and Social Impact of ICT
in Latin America - http://funredes.org/mistica )
and at the same time we were also experimenting
with imbedding translation into virtual community
communication (to solve the second barreer for
participation after distance which is language).
MISTICA was not multistakeholder by design (it
was centered on civil society) but indeed have
make some interesting contributions to democratic
process in virtual spaces which could apply to multi-stakeholder communities.

The following paper (which by the way was
translated from Spanish by Deirdre :-)) could
give some insights to the whole process:
<http://funredes.org/mistica/english/cyberlibrary/thematic/icie/>At
the Boundaries of Ethics and
Cultures<http://funredes.org/mistica/english/cyberlibrary/thematic/icie/>
: Virtual Communities as an Open Ended Process
Carrying the Will for Social Change (the "MISTICA" experience) .

The method had nothing to do with the use of
synchronous resources for broadcasting the
meeting; it was, by design, an asynchronous
management based on the following axiom:
even if a virtual community organize a face to
face meeting the center of gravity of the community remains virtual.
The whole design of the meeting was made with
that principle in mind, e.g. not allowing
decisions be made by the lucky minority in face
to face encounters but keeping a whole community
process for decision making. This way of
processing trigger many interesting consequences
which warrant due and democratic processes and, I
would say, provoke a radical change in the way
face to face participants perceive their own participation.

This obviously requires to think the design of
the meeting differently, organizing delayed
interactions after meeting sections, but that
will keep face to face participants in sync with
the community and allow sometime some interesting
situation when a face to face participant can
also interact by the virtual asynchronius channel.

The same type of methodologies were also
experimented at the same time by colleagues
working for Fondation pour le Progrès de
l'Humanité in order to manage the Alliance for a
Responsible, Plureal and United World
(http://www.alliance21.org). The French article
on Wikipedia does refer to Distance Participation
(see
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_pour_un_monde_responsable,_pluriel_et_solidaire).

If people are interested I coud offer more details off the list.

believed to be clean.