[bestbits] Mail 1- Open Consultations and MAG meetings 1-3 December 2014

Subi Chaturvedi subi.igp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 13:14:28 EDT 2014

Sharing the request made to the secretariat.  For extending support to new
and old CS members for the IGF Open Consultation and MAG meeting. The
secretariat has just responded.  Some support is available for developing
country CS MAG members and will be extended to both new and old members to
facilitate their physical presence.

There should also be some support available through IGFSA as well for
members of the community to attend the open Consultation and MAG meeting.
We're in the early stages of preparation.  Will keep you updated.

And all the very best to all the CS applicants. Will be happy to assist in
any way possible if you have any queries while making your applications.

Regards

Subi Chaturvedi

December 2014
> To: "Markus Kummer" <kummer at isoc.org>, "cmasango at unog.ch" <
cmasango at unog.ch>
> Cc: "MAG-public" <Igfmaglist at intgovforum.org>

Chengetai, thank you for the confirmation. I join colleagues in expressing
our gratitude to ITU.

We are well aware of the extreme gymnastics that the secretariat performs
to collate applications and work through the process of reconstituting the
MAG. This is to put on record the appreciation that we all have as MAG
members, for the excellent work done throughout the preparatory process and
during the IGF by Chengetai and his team.

Also agree with Markus. The UN rules stipulate a mandatory time period
within which the application for support must be made, if memory serves me
right. The renewal process might not have culminated by then. But having
been a new member in the recent past, I vouch for the immense value that
the physical presence holds for new and first time MAG members. The
orientation session and the ability to absorb and contribute to the
conversation is a definite way to build capacity for newly inducted
members. I can testify from personal experience, about the learning which
has occurred from the support extended and wish that the others will also
have the opportunity to learn and contribute towards the IGF ecosystem.
There is no better way to work towards a truly meaningful #IGF2015 for new
members than jumping into the deep end of the pool.

I am hopeful that if there is a possibility to have the new members
physically present for the meeting the option will be explored. And the
support offered. Just checked the hotel prices in Geneva during the week.
They are pretty steep.

Without the support, it is near impossible for developing country
participants and members from civil society and academia,  to afford their
in person, interventions.

Both DESA's support and IGFSA will be valuable force multipliers.

warmest

Subi
----

Subi Chaturvedi