[bestbits] [governance] Call for making the IGF permanent

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Thu Sep 4 06:37:51 EDT 2014

On 1 Sep 2014, at 11:38 pm, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

If not the UN then there is this tantalising offer from the WEF, maybe that. It has either to be public funding or corporate funding, one can make one's choice which is better. Because, even an organised public dialogue, much less the more complex things that the IGF is being prepared for, cannot be undertaken 'on the street' by 'people' without resources and some holding organisation. If you have any doubt about this assertion, please note that no one has proposed the World Social Forum to hold the global IG process together, as the WEF is being proposed, if yet somewhat cautiously.

It is certainly strange how a special case of Taiwan is being offered to show problems with the UN system, but one does not see what is wrong with ICANN's US-hood or WEF's big business nature.

	In the panel today about the ICANN Affirmation of Commitments agreement with the US (and how it might be globalised), I made the point that I had participated in one of ICANNs Affirmation of Commitments Review Teams, and absolutely nothing about that 18 month or so process was effected by the US special role in mandating that review. Sometimes, while ICANNs US status might not be ideal, it can be tolerated because the practical consequences of that relationship are very minimal, certainly easily tolerable, in many practical situations. The same applies to IGFs UN status (which brings a range of restrictions on what can be talked about, not to mention a guarantee of dull ministerial speeches).
	While mindful of the symbolic issues, I think George is pointing out that closer links with the UN has some real practical consequences, that may decrease the openness of the IGF, because there are gatekeepers to participation in UN processes.
	I assume your mention of the WEF is somewhat facetious given your opposition to the WEF, but I think it s worth examining why. From my point of view, the openness to participation of multi-stakeholder processes is vital. Sure, regular, ongoing participation in something like ICANN requires funding, with all the issues that raises. But literally physical participation is open to anyone who can physically turn up to meetings, and remote participation can reach anyone with internet access. The is quite emphatically not the case with WEF - if I happened to be having a holiday in the Swiss Alps, I couldn't just pop by Davos. I don't think opposition to WEF for its symbolic role (association with neo-liberal trade policies, association with wealthy elites at ski resorts, etc) is particularly valuable -- after all, the IGF is a broad multistakeholder meeting that is supposed to have a very wide range of stakeholders and views presented, so the WEF should be as welcome to participate as any other stakeholder. IGF should not be for the elite represented by WEF, but it should include those elite views along with the bottom up. But we should be wary of WEF processes because its global forum model is NOT open, and the IGF (as with other multistakeholder processess) should be as open as we can make it.
	I accept Parminders concerns about WEF being highly problematic despite its multi-stakeholder nature, as its a gated forum, an echo chamber for a particular ideology, but I don't accept that this is an intrinsic problem with multi-stakeholderism -  rather I think it shows that openness, transparency, and accountability are essential tools to keep multi-stakeholder processes working for the public interest.

	David

parminder