[bestbits] IMPORTANT: World Economic Forum and The-Initiative-Formerly-Known-As-NETmundial

Matthew Shears mshears at cdt.org
Thu Sep 4 03:40:01 EDT 2014

Hi Jeremy,

I always understood the CSCG as a facilitating function, enabling a more
streamllined and representative way of ensuring appropriate
representation of CS on various iniatives, committes, etc.  If a
particular party to the CSCG does not wish to participate in a
particular process that should not prevent other CSCG organizations from
participating through the CSCG function if they wish. Alternatively, it
should be agreed that once one entity opts not to participate then the
CSCG can no longer serve its function for that particular selection
process, etc.  I am agnostic either way.

There are divergent opinions on the NMI or whatever it may be called -
but I also believe that we have already had an impact on the process and
not to participate through the 6 month "trial period" would, I think, be
a mistake.

Thanks!

Matthew

On 9/4/2014 9:38 AM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> On Sep 2, 2014, at 3:53 PM, Carlos A. Afonso <ca at cafonso.ca
> <mailto:ca at cafonso.ca>> wrote:
>
>> "The WEF representatives seem to be listening and adapting at IGF –
>> so I think this is still quite fluid." You mean, like the Borg? :)
>
> I don't feel that we have yet received a good sense from this group
> yet about whether we should patronise the WEF initiative or not.  You
> have, by now, seen that the Just Net Coalition people are refusing to
> support the initiative.  If the Coordination Group goes forward with
> nominating candidates at all, it would therefore have to be on the
> basis that any public statement of our nominees would include that
> "although JNC is a member of CSCG, JNC has opted out from
> participation in this particular selection process".
>
> Are we happy with that?  Or do we agree with JNC and want to wash our
> hands of this process?  I have heard view both ways, and I don't have
> a good sense of where the balance of opinion lies.  Would be grateful
> for some more people to express their views here.
>
> --
> Jeremy Malcolm
> Senior Global Policy Analyst
> Electronic Frontier Foundation
> https://eff.org
> jmalcolm at eff.org
>
> Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161
>
> :: Defending Your Rights in the Digital World ::

Matthew Shears
Director - Global Internet Policy and Human Rights
Center for Democracy & Technology (CDT)
mshears at cdt.org
+ 44 771 247 2987