[bestbits] [JNC - Forum] Time-sensitive: 24 hour sign on period for ITU Plenipot joint recommendations

Anne Jellema anne at webfoundation.org
Wed Oct 22 01:10:47 EDT 2014

Hi Richard,

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 6:29 PM, Richard Hill <rhill at hill-a.ch> wrote:

> perhaps you would consider collaborating to prepare a synthetic paper that
> presents the differing points of view. That is, a paper of the form "some
> say X, others say Y".

That's a really interesting idea. It would be a *lot* of work to do it
well, but could be very useful. Who were you thinking of as the audience
for such a paper? I.e. would you see it as an internal exercise for the
benefit of civil society, or an external product for policymakers?

> Regarding possible common ground, I would suggest a starting point: surely
> we all believe that all human rights must be respected, and protected, and
> that they are indivisible.

Yes. And I think it would not be hard to go further. The Web We Want
principles, for example, were one such effort to find common ground,
phrased in positive terms.

When it comes to the negative stuff, i.e. the threats to a human
rights-centred internet, I also find a great deal of agreement among civil
society groups; and within that, I think that your concern about the
growing power of industry is shared by many of us. The differences emerge
when it comes to detailed analysis of the sources of industry power and the
best strategies for tackling it. If the paper that you propose could help
all of us to work through these types of strategic issues in a systematic
way, I imagine it would be very good contribution to more effective civil
society advocacy.

Best
Anne

--
Anne Jellema
CEO

*World Wide Web Foundation | 1110 Vermont Ave NW, Suite 500, Washington DC,
20005, USA | www.webfoundation.org <http://www.webfoundation.org/> |
Twitter: @webfoundation*