[bestbits] MAG appointments

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 19:27:09 EDT 2014

A correction - CSCG stands for Civil Society Coordination Group, NOT  Internet
Governance Civil Society Caucus. A very flattering mistake, but still a
mistake :-)
Deirdre
(Co-coordinator IGC)

On 19 October 2014 15:25, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:

>   Hi everyone,
>
> As you are probably aware, the Internet Governance Civil Society Caucus
> (CSCG) is submitting 10 names as civil society representatives to replace
> the 10 civil society people rotated out of the IGF MAG  this year. This
> has been a combined effort of major coalitions working on internet
> governance issues. (Best Bits, IGC, APC, Diplo, NCSG, and Just Net)
>
> It is important, not only for civil society but for the Internet
> Governance Forum as well, that the civil society representatives chosen for
> the MAG are credible, active, representative, and widely supported. This
> has not always been the case with civil society representation on the MAG;
> and  one of the real lessons from NetMundial in 2014, which has
> ramifications for IGF in Brazil in 2015, is the importance of  stakeholder
> involvement in establishment of representation.
>
> A combined effort from major civil society groups making nominations is
> new, for both the IGF Secretariat and UNDESA, who will be making the
> decisions. We want to make sure that they realise that this effort is
> credible, widely supported, and should be given strong consideration in
> determining civil society representation.
>
> We have  established a good relationship with the IGF Secretariat as
> regards this, but I would suggest that any of you who have strong
> relationships with people who will be making these decisions, or have
> connections with people who may influence this process, to contact them
> within the next week expressing your support for the 10 civil society
> nominees and the role of CSCG in co ordinating civil society appointments –
> a role already established in the NetMundial and 1Net initiative processes.
>
> This is a key time to do this – it is important for the decision makers to
> know that the civil society combined efforts here are credible and widely
> supported, and anything you can do to assist this would be much appreciated.
>
> Please feel free to contact me personally if you would like more
> information or have suggestions on key people outside of the Secretariat we
> should make contact with.
>

> Many Thanks,
>

> Ian Peter (Independent Chair, CSCG)

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979