[bestbits] MAG appointments

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sun Oct 19 15:25:40 EDT 2014

Hi everyone,

As you are probably aware, the Internet Governance Civil Society Caucus (CSCG) is submitting 10 names as civil society representatives to replace the 10 civil society people rotated out of the IGF MAG  this year. This has been a combined effort of major coalitions working on internet governance issues. (Best Bits, IGC, APC, Diplo, NCSG, and Just Net)

It is important, not only for civil society but for the Internet Governance Forum as well, that the civil society representatives chosen for the MAG are credible, active, representative, and widely supported. This has not always been the case with civil society representation on the MAG; and  one of the real lessons from NetMundial in 2014, which has ramifications for IGF in Brazil in 2015, is the importance of  stakeholder  involvement in establishment of representation.

A combined effort from major civil society groups making nominations is new, for both the IGF Secretariat and UNDESA, who will be making the decisions. We want to make sure that they realise that this effort is credible, widely supported, and should be given strong consideration in determining civil society representation.

We have  established a good relationship with the IGF Secretariat as regards this, but I would suggest that any of you who have strong relationships with people who will be making these decisions, or have connections with people who may influence this process, to contact them within the next week expressing your support for the 10 civil society nominees and the role of CSCG in co ordinating civil society appointments – a role already established in the NetMundial and 1Net initiative processes.

This is a key time to do this – it is important for the decision makers to know that the civil society combined efforts here are credible and widely supported, and anything you can do to assist this would be much appreciated.

Please feel free to contact me personally if you would like more information or have suggestions on key people outside of the Secretariat we should make contact with.

Many Thanks,

Ian Peter (Independent Chair, CSCG)