[bestbits] [Help]after a successfully signed ITU transparency letter, let's advocate for it??

Joana Varon joana at varonferraz.com
Mon Oct 13 07:56:49 EDT 2014

Dear all,

As Lea has mentioned below, the letter asking for ITU transparency was
sent to the Secretariat and remains open for signatures at the Best Bits
platform: http://bestbits.net/busan-transparency. Therefore, signatures
keep coming in (thanks for those who have already signed). But a
statement is not enough, its just the first step.

As we have no public voice to raise these points at the plenary of the
ITU Plenipotentiary - PP, besides reaching the Secretary General (who
ultimately also cannot change the rules), _*we need to influence country
delegations to support and improve the texts from draft resolutions*
that already exist and are asking for transparency.__
_
While countries who have proposed theses draft resolutions (which most
of us cannot see because its information under ITU password protection!)
are already allies in the matter and could incorporate some of our
demands. On the other hand, people from countries which doesnt have a
position on this could also be strategic. Therefore, being from any
country and even if you are not going or dont intend to be deeply
engaged in the PP, just sending the statement to your country delegation
is already a huge help for the cause of openness.

Remember that, due to the dynamics of the Plenipot, most of the CSO
people participating at the PP has to be subscribed within country
delegations, therefore might have some diplomatic constraints for doing
outreach of CSO positions to other countries, being able to bring these
positions only to their own delegation. Thats why any extra help on
outreach to Member States is truly welcomed = we need you!*
**
So, t**his is the a call:* *
**
**a) Reach your country delegate: *ping ur delegation at the ITU-PP on
this (list of delegations is available under ITU account, would be good
if anyone could point to a link where its public so people would find it
easier to send emails to the right person - I couldnt find it yet). To
make your engagement easier, a draft sample of an email to deliver it to
your representative is available here:
https://pad.riseup.net/p/letter2delegation (if you improve it or
translate it to other languages, please, also post in the pad so you
help the work of others from the same region as you).

*b) Tweet under the hashtag #openITU:* if you have delivered the letter,
and feel comfortable to, please, tweet about it under the hashtag
#OpenITU, so we can also create a little buzz in social media. Example
of a tweet: ITU transparency statement was shared with "your_country"
delegates #openITU *http://tinyurl.com/oxamjjs*or even tweet it straight
to your delegates.
**
Lets take advantage that the issue on transparency is so important to
raise substantial consensus among many of us to have a little win. In
return, those who are going can - and lets be sure we do it - give a
follow up to all the lists we have engaged for signatures or requests
like this... so people dont get frustrated on signing papers with the
impressions it lead nowhere :)

Currently, as far as I know, the main argument against opening access to
documents is $$$. As some have been arguing that organizations apply for
member$hip to have access to this documents. Rationale questionable /per
se/ and not strong enough to justify blocking access to policy
processes. Times have changed, openness should be a rule.

Hope it sounds like a (good/possible) plan.

all the best

joana
--
@joana_varon