[bestbits] PK's 2-pager on ITU and Plenipot

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Oct 10 08:53:47 EDT 2014

On Friday 10 October 2014 12:21 AM, Carolina Rossini wrote:
> Available at:
>
> https://www.publicknowledge.org/documents/international-telecommunication-union-itu-plenipotentiary-conference

Carolina,

So what the Public Knowledge is basically saying is that the ITU should
practically do nothing, more or less. I mean I saw nothing in this
statement about what it should actually do  given that the
plenipotentiary is the occasion on which the ITU revisits its complete
work program. Well yes there is something about WTDC working groups but
no clarity about what exactly they can and should do. For instance, the
very formation of BestBits was informed by the need for a "positive
agenda". Where is a positive agenda ever? After all, in a time of ICTs
driven global social revolution/ transformation there must be something
to do in the communication, ICTs and Internet space. What should ITU do
about this new situation to make sure that things serve  global public
interest, and if the ITU is to be doing little or nothing, who should be
doing it.

Not only in your submission but also elsewhere (it seems to be happening
all together), I see a creeping assertion that multistakeholder
"decision making" should extend beyond technical areas to substantive
Internet-related public policy making areas of many different kinds.
Please do let me know if I am wrong in this interpretation, which in
fact comes quite clearly in your submission.

You say ITU should not be exploring a treaty on cyber-security, which I
would suppose people would agree is urgently needed in this period of
extreme cyber insecurity... So, if ITU should not do the work towards
such a treaty, who do you think should do it? The UN's first committee
working on security issues, which has done some work on cyber-security?
Or are you proposing a multistakeholder body should do such a treaty, in
which case too please do put forward your proposal..

These are serious issues of Internet governance today, and should be
discussed thoroughly.... Just telling the ITU to open up all its
documents but then really to do nothing really substantive does not
appear to me to an adequate response to where the world stands vis a vis
the Internet and its democratic governance.

parminder

PS: I cc ed two other elists bec this is an important matter deserving a
good discussion .