[bestbits] [ITU PP] [reporting back] Today's meeting with SG

Lea Kaspar lea at gp-digital.org
Thu Oct 23 23:59:13 EDT 2014

Dear all,

This is to give a quick update of today's meeting between civil society and
SG Toure.

   - Meeting was very short (30min tops) as voting was scheduled for right
   after, and a bit odd as most of the present were actually from ISOC or
   technical community (which is ok), but also Mr Sepulveda, from US gov.
   Besides them, Lea, YJ Park and myself attended the meeting.
   - Points raised by Touré:
   - addressed our letter on transparency saying he was happy to see that
      the tone has changed from previous ones and that the letter had clear
      proposals on what to do.
      - highlighted his push to member states for allowing CSO to
      participate in member states delegations (as if it was enough)
      - mentioned his blog about engaging civil society:
      http://itu4u.wordpress.com/2014/10/23/engaging-civil-society-in-the-ict-sector/
      - ISOC:
      - welcomed the opportunity for having such briefings, the webcast and
      access to docs
   - Joana and Lea:
      - welcomed access to docs and webcasting hoping such measures to
      become official
      - welcomed the opportunity for such meeting and stressed that many
      other colleagues will come for the meeting next week
      - asked for Mr Zhao to be in the next meetings for the sake of
      continuity of this kind of dialogue
      - asked for the possibility of having our documents also posted as
      information docs.
      - asked to have communications about civil soc meetings to be done
      directly with CSO, not only through head of delegations.

   - Toure:
      - affirmed Zhao and himself have a seaming-less communication and
      that he is sensitive to openness and transparency as well
      -  welcomed receiving more docs from CSOs, as long as they are
      relevant to the ITU mandate (he highlighted that human rights do not fall
      under this category, etc). On ITU role told us again the metaphor of cars
      and road, as ITU dealing with roads = internet infrastructure.
      - asked us to not react bad if there were bad proposals submitted by
      ITU member states, that is not the ITU, that is the process.

Due to time constraints, we weren't able to address the issue of
participation of CSO through member states vs observers (lets note this and
readdress in next meeting). There will be another two meetings in the next
two weeks.

After the meeting, ITU staff has reassured communication will be done
directly with CS as well, and have pointed us to session "public views" of
the website (
http://www.itu.int/en/plenipotentiary/2014/Pages/public-views.aspx), where
actually our statement is already at and its a different "status" than
information docs. They also promised to check if we could book a meeting
room without going through a member state, and mentioned that they will try
to bring Zhao to subsequent meetings.

Best,
Lea & Joana