[bestbits] A few notes from the NETmundial phone conference

Anne Jellema anne.jellema at webfoundation.org
Fri Nov 7 07:53:23 EST 2014

Thanks Jeremy, Bill and others for the info.
Before we dive into our favourite pastime of arguing about who represents
whom and how they should be chosen, I'm interested to know what others
think about the value add of this forum in the first place.
Isn't "a platform to support distributed governance of the Internet and
.... develop solutions where none exist" a pretty good description of what
the IGF is or should be? Is there really a need for WEF and ICANN to divert
time and resources into creating another one?
best
Anne

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 11:17 AM, William Drake <wjdrake at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks Jeremy for the summary.  Just to flag one immediate issue about the
> CC: the four categories of participants don’t correspond to the
> nongovernmental ones used for Sao Paulo and 1NET, and "academia, the
> technical community and foundations” are tossed together into one basket.
> I’m not sure what process can be devised here to get those three distinct
> groupings to agree on 5 names, inter alia since foundations have not been
> organized and engaged in IG processes as a stakeholder group.  Unless a
> coordinated solution can be found (e.g. 2/2/1), one can easily imagine them
> getting more than 5 nominations, in which case CGI.br, ICANN and WEF will
> end up having to pick their best guess of a mix those groups will accept.
> So making this work as a thoroughly bottom-up process could be a challenge
> even if CS and business can work out their respective issues.  More
> differentiated baskets would have saved some headaches.
>
> How to constitute the CC is obviously just one of the questions that will
> have to be worked through.  How exactly the platform would operate and what
> the CC’s role and responsibilities would be also are very much TBD.  One
> could imagine the CC overseeing the design of the platform; serving as as a
> facilitator of connections when someone proposes a project and solicits
> partners/support; facilitating the dissemination of progress reports; etc.
> But should it do more than this?  It’s not clear that the CC should be
> deciding which project proposals can be appear on the platform; specifying
> a framework for their formulation and conduct; overseeing their progress,
> and so on.  I guess it will be for the CC to figure these things out in
> consultation with the wider communities.
>
> One thing I’d be reluctant to see it get into is elaborating on the NM
> Statement's principles.  I believe you raised this possibility at the
> August meeting at WEF as well, and am not clear what you have in mind.  A
> priori, I’d think that if the NMI wandered onto this turf, it would raise
> the stakes and become politicized and potentially divisive.  Better to
> stick to being an open platform for project facilitation and leave the
> discussion/negotiation of governance frameworks to other more inclusive
> forums/processes, no?
>
> Best
>
> Bill
>
> On Nov 6, 2014, at 7:23 PM, Jeremy Malcolm <jmalcolm at eff.org> wrote:
>
>  I attended the NETmundial phone conference this morning, interested to
> find out what had changed since the previous launch in August, which had
> drawn criticism not only from civil society but more broadly.
>
> The NETmundial Initiative is presented as not being a centralised
> organisation but rather a platform to support distributed governance of the
> Internet.  It brings together "Enablers" (currently CGI.br, ICANN and
> WEF) and proposed "Solutions".  The solutions can be contributed by anyone
> [...]

Anne Jellema
CEO
+27 061 36 9352 (ZA)
+1 202 684 6885 (US)
Twitter: @afjellema
PGP: A84F061D
*World Wide Web Foundation | 1110 Vermont Ave NW, Suite 500, Washington DC,
20005, USA | www.webfoundation.org <http://www.webfoundation.org/> |
Twitter: @webfoundation*