[bestbits] [governance] RE: [IRPCoalition] Time-sensitive: 24 hour sign on period for ITU Plenipot joint recommendations

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Sat Nov 1 03:02:36 EDT 2014

On 24 Oct 2014, at 11:08 pm, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> Of course these models of governance are aspirations—goals, directions towards which we strive, but which equally have the effect of strongly conditioning our current decisions and directions—which is why this discussion is not theoretical but extremely practical.

	Well, I for one find that JNC positions, which are effectively critical of all current models to some extent, where more directed to practical positive outcomes.

> Is the direction towards which we strive in the area of global (Internet) governance one that maximizes democracy (rule by and for the people) or one that maximizes multi-stakeholderism (rule by and for the elite who have “stakes”)?  Simple question.

	Disingenous question, as you are sbsolutely aware that many on this list would regard your characterisation of multi-stakeholderism as wildly misleading. And, for that matter, many would regard JNC positions as frequently, while rhetorically applauding democracy, as in practical terms leading in the opposite direction.

> Siva went on to suggest that MSism is the next stage beyond democracy an even stronger position

	In some respects, it may be, considering what you regard it as evolving from. If you regard democracy as being strict majoritarianism in all things then MSism surely stands in opposition to that, but that is an incredibly naive position on democracy held by practically no one.

> – that is that rule by and for the people has now somehow become obsolete in the face of the overwhelming ascendance of certain private corporations, certain elite groups, certain countries and their allies.

	The view of multi-stakeholder processes you have is one that I feel can only be maintained by dedicated non-engagement.

> Civil Society of course has traditionally (classically) supported democracy and the broadest base of participation in the structures and operations of governance.

	Indeed. And it should continue to do so. This is not, however, necessarily in opposition to multi-stakeholderism, especially in transnational fora in which democratic mechanisms do not practically exist.

> But in the absence of a denial of these propositions rejecting Democracy presented by Siva and others it would appear that that too has become obsolete.

	Siva simply said he didn't feel that discussing this particular issue at this point in time, which would require first a thorough debunking of your constant urge to mis-characterise both multi-stakeholderism and democracy, is not a high priority.

	Your efforts to construe a desire not to engage as meaning what you want it to mean are an empty rhetorical position that proves nothing. Please stop.

	Regards

		David