[bestbits] [] Whether to participate in NETmundial Initiative - RFC

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Nov 22 14:22:04 EST 2014

Hi,

On 22-Nov-14 03:36, Francisco Vera Hott wrote:
>  or the "UN Security Council" arguments.

I understand what they were doing trying to build a core team, a remnant
of the earlier champions idea, though I think it was inappropriate and
backfired.  What I do not understand is how the security council
equivalence could be imagined - there was no notion of veto anywhere in
the concepts I read.  I think that was a bit a FUD that showed up in the
shock blogs, that too many accepted as a reasonable stance on what was
being proposed.

I think that the JNC took a principled stance.  I disagree with it and
think it premature, but I can see it as a thought out position that fits
within the concept of the CSCG.  I think ISOC should be praised for
refusing a special seat and for continuing to consult with the NMI folks.

It we think we are going to stop this by holding our breath until they
go away, we may just find ourselves excluding ourselves from something
that will then be able to go its own way without every giving our
various points of view a chance.  And we will miss a chance to move the
NMI toward the multistakeholder participatory democratic idea so many of
us are dedicated to - no matter which terms we use or eschew at any
point in time. There is a large segment of civil society that is not
part of this little bubble of ours,  so we should not fool ourselves
into thinking that our refusal is the master switch of legitimization.
Civil society will take part, of that I have no doubt, it just may not
be this part of civil society.

avri