[bestbits] [governance] Whether to participate in NETmundial Initiative - RFC

Francisco Vera Hott francisco at verahott.com
Fri Nov 21 18:36:26 EST 2014

These past 2-3 days we have been surrounding this discussion over
whether to participate in NETmundial initiative, in this and other
threads (which I will not refer).

It is clear that the idea of participating on the NetMundial
initiative remains conflicting or doubtful for many list members, for
different reasons, such as the WEF role, the participation of Civil
Society, the permanent seats, or the "UN Security Council" arguments.

Whatever it is, I haven't (or failed to) seen yet an assessment of the
need for such initiative. I don't see an Internet Governance
forums/venues/initiatives shortage anytime soon, and more and more
platform, mailing lists and many other initiatives can be useful but
also distracting for the limited resources that civil society (and
other stakeholders) has.

Decentralizing the debate is OK, but this is becoming more and more
overwhelming and, thus, impossible to follow or over demanding for
many organizations.

This NMI could also be an opportunity for civil society but given
ISOC, ICANN and other's positioning, it is also a matter of validation
and legitimacy, so civil society participation is equally important
for both parties, not precisely a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Finally, I've read some comments on democracy and social justice and
while I have sympathy for those values, civil society doesn't exercise
political representation nor have or should have a common agenda
regarding all social values. It is just as strong as its positions and
integrity.

Best,
Francisco Vera Hott
Human Rights Lawyer