[bestbits] [governance] FW: [discuss] JNC statement on WEF's Net Mundial Initiative

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 10:13:54 EST 2014

Jeremy,

Once you have recovered from your hissyfit I'm sure that you and everyone
else reading this with a fair mind will realize that it is you who should be
apologizing to the JNC.

You seem to have conveniently "forgotten" the letter sent only two days ago
by Ian on your and other's in the CSCG's behalf which appears to my
untrained eyes to be a very positive endorsement and agreement with the NMI
along with a request  that negotiations be entered into over some details of
process.  This letter was prepared one can only assume with your and others
of the CSCG (excluding of course the JNC)'s active involvement and was
evidently publicly referenced by its co-recipient Fadi. Not being a lawyer I
would however suggest that your accusation verges on slander and a public
apology would appear to be required.

I quote from the letter sent by Ian on behalf of the CSCG to the NMI as
circulated by Norbert (emphasis added)

You are aware of our concerns, which I am sure you share, that the selection
processes  be credible, involve stakeholder groups, and, as your nomination
process states, "formed through a bottom-up process, ..

We believe this can best be achieved if we work closely with you to ensure
that the civil society representation, and involvement in selection of its
representatives, is as strong, credible and effective as possible.

.

If we are to proceed with one or both of these options, we would need to
have your confirmation as to our participation in this  manner fairly
quickly, so that we can inform our colleagues. Please if possible get back
to us this week, or advise when you will be  able to respond.

We look forward to working with you and to a highly successful collaborative
initiative to address some important issues of mutual concern. We would like
to see a strong, widely endorsed, and effective civil society presence in
developing this initiative, and look forward to working with you to achieve
this.

I could be wrong but there doesn't seem to be a lot of ambiguity in this
quite enthusiastic endorsement of the overall NMI.

Presumably you know how and where to send your apology.