[bestbits] UPDATE ON CIVIL SOCIETY PARTICIPATION IN NET MUNDIAL INITIATIVE

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Nov 18 00:12:34 EST 2014

On Tuesday 18 November 2014 04:23 AM, Ian Peter wrote:
> UPDATE ON CIVIL SOCIETY PARTICIPATION IN NET MUNDIAL INITIATIVE.
> Please note that Internet Governance Civil Society Coordination Group
> (CSCG) participation in the new Net Mundial initiative is still under
> consideration. CSCG has written to the NMI Secretariat and
> Transitional Council suggesting that it play a co-ordinating role in
> the selection of civil society representatives in a coordinated bottom
> up manner, rather than these decisions being made by the Transitional
> Council (which has no civil society representation). This is still
> under discussion; however, we do not yet have a proposal with
> sufficient clarity for member coalitions to be able to decide on
> participation or not. While Just Net Coalition (JNC) has already
> determined it will not participate, other members are waiting for
> clarity on our proposal for a bottom up and inclusive procedure for
> determining civil society representatives before making any final
> decisions on participation.

Does this not constitute an in principle agreement to participate by the
concerned CS actors, if NMI guys agrees to CSCG doing CS nominations, or
something close to that... Further, Is Fadi wrong in taking that
impression and making it public... I think you need to make the facts
such more clear and transparent about what is happening within the CSCG,
what decisions and actions it takes and so on... parminder