[bestbits] Shoshanna Zuboff: Dark Google

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at consensus.pro
Sat May 3 15:40:35 EDT 2014

Michael, it is hard to even count the number of ways you have got this all wrong.

You’ve read a letter from a publisher and since it goes along with your prejudices you think it is 100% accurate.

What you clearly don’t understand is there is a dispute between publishers and the whole Internet sector going on here, not just Google. The publishers have tried to get the German courts to essentially make *every single* link to *every single* piece of copyrighted work something that all online uses that involve links must pay for.

This would of course result in a disastrous precedent that would be incredibly harmful to freedom of expression.

This has been recognised by scores of NGOs across Europe who have fought against this, any number of whom are on this list.

I will be the first to agree with legitimate criticism of companies, but this is so spectacularly factually wrong - and wrong in the opposite direction of what you have said you stand for - that I really recommend you stop this meme defending Axel Springer until you’ve researched it.