[bestbits] Shoshanna Zuboff: Dark Google

McTim mctimconsulting at gmail.com
Sat May 3 10:53:28 EDT 2014

<cc list trimmed to match netiquette>

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 2:55 AM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> This discussion is currently roiling Europe and beyond.
>
> The discussion and Zuboff's analysis has very significant implications for the matters of Multistakeholder governance which are currently being triumphantly trumpeted in these contexts and beyond. The issues that Zuboff is pointing to with specific reference to Google and surveillance underlie the drive to include companies like Google and others directly in decision making through multistakeholder processes/Internet Governance.
>
> It hardly takes a huge flight of imagination to recognize the signals concerning the extreme danger that MSism represents in the context of Zuboff's arguments i.e. giving Google (et al) effective veto power

This myth of a veto that you and Parminder have been propagating is
just not true.

I've participated in many MS fora over the last decade plus and never
seen a "veto".

NB: This isn't a "pro-Google" email, just a note to provide some
reality based observations.

I would also observe that IF there was a veto (which I've never seen
any indication of) then wouldn't CS ALSO have the same "veto" in an
equal-footing forum?

jus' sayin'

rgds,

McTim