[bestbits] Shoshanna Zuboff: Dark Google

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat May 3 03:55:23 EDT 2014

This discussion is currently roiling Europe and beyond.

The discussion and Zuboff's analysis has very significant implications for the matters of Multistakeholder governance which are currently being triumphantly trumpeted in these contexts and beyond. The issues that Zuboff is pointing to with specific reference to Google and surveillance underlie the drive to include companies like Google and others directly in decision making through multistakeholder processes/Internet Governance.

It hardly takes a huge flight of imagination to recognize the signals concerning the extreme danger that MSism represents in the context of Zuboff's arguments i.e. giving Google (et al) effective veto power over and a highly influential (and potentially unstoppable role in) decision making in areas key to controlling what Zuboff calls "the rise of absolute power".

(And for the Multistakeholderists among us here is a critical response from a former senior employee of another Silicon Valley corporate giant--Yahoo https://www.facebook.com/benjaminbratton/posts/10152082644097966?stream_ref=10 )