[bestbits] Quick Update on WGEC meeting day 2

Lea Kaspar Lea at gp-digital.org
Fri May 2 03:46:41 EDT 2014

Thanks for this excellent summary, Avri. As an observer in the meeting, I think this accurately captures the state of play.

One other discussion expected to happen today is whether or not the WGEC should continue it's mandate beyond today's meeting. Some feel that the mandate has not been completed because the gaps analysis (part of what the Correspondence Group was meant to do) hasn't been finalised. There are also strategic interests at play to avoid this discussion from spilling over into other fora (ITU, WSIS review).

Assuming that the gaps analysis becomes the focus of the extension, there are two likely options:
1. the gaps analysis is professionalised and outsourced through the CSTD Secretariat, based on a more narrowly defined TOR.
2. the WGEC itself analyses the gaps based on existing data.

Having worked on the CG output myself, I would strongly recommend an independent gaps analysis based on clearly defined benchmarks for assessment (currently absent).

Stay tuned.

Lea

Sent from my iPhone