[bestbits] Civil society response to NETmundial 2014 outcome text open for endorsement

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu May 1 09:18:02 EDT 2014

And...

On May 1, 2014, at 9:51 PM, Carlos A. Afonso wrote:

> Hi Niels,
>
> On 05/01/2014 08:10 AM, Niels ten Oever wrote:
>> Dear Carlos,
>>
>> On 04/30/2014 03:06 PM, Carlos A. Afonso wrote:
>>
>>> Finally, it is wrong to say (as they did) that net neutrality was not
>>> included in the NETmundial document. Unless they cannot understand
>>> English, this is the paragraph on it:
>>>
>>> "UNIFIED AND UNFRAGMENTED SPACE -- Internet should continue to be a
>>> globally coherent, interconnected, stable, unfragmented, scalable and
>>> accessible network-of-networks, based on a common set of unique
>>> identifiers and that allows data packets/information to flow freely
>>> end-to-end regardless of the lawful content."
>>>

>> This definition allows for charging differentially by user, content,
>> site, platform, application, type of attached equipment, and modes of
>> communication.
>
> It is not a definition -- nobody had said that so far. The recommendation for a principle provides the basis without which your dreams (which are also ours, or at least mine) would not come true. Do you think we would be able to delve into such details in an attempt to build a pluralist consensus document? And this is why we mentioned in the Roadmap the issue is complex and merits further dialogue and recommendations.

We kept asking for specific text.  Something the we could work with in drafting.  Asked on this list and others, asked at the CS meeting on 22nd.  I think I even suggested:

"Neutrality: The Internet should remain a neutral and open platform, free from discrimination, so as to encourage free expression,  the free flow of information and ideas, creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship."

Not great, but something to argue for. (and it might have been a lever to keep the other creator text out of the document?)

We looked through the transcripts and all I remember seeing is general statements (we want to see NN mentioned, blah...  and those were balanced by others who said there was no place for net neutrality in the documents).  Sorry if I missed anything, but we needed text to work with, and needed support.  Where we got help, it worked: thanks particularly to Robin, Stephanie, Avri.

Anyway.  A very enjoyable and rewarding process. There are a lot of positives in the documents.

I'm very grateful to CS for asking me to join the EMC.  Thank you,

Adam