[governance] Re: [bestbits] Three NETmundial submissions launched for endorsement at bestbits.net

Andrew Puddephatt Andrew at gp-digital.org
Thu Mar 6 01:36:06 EST 2014

Assuming we’re genuinely trying to understand each other’s positions, my views on the short comings of the current system and proposals to move the debate forward are expressed in the submission to Netmundial
At http://bestbits.net/netmundial-roadmap/  which was available for comment for a month or more on the BB list – (without anyone providing substantial comments except for Marilia). It sets out my take on the issue.

I think that achieving a democratic approach to internet governance is enormously challenging and this is the best option of those practically available.

Where I think we disagree is that I think you believe governments should in the end, make the final decisions about the internet as they are the sole source of legitimacy (please correct me if I misunderstand you).   I think this would be catastrophic for the internet's ability to promote free speech and open communication.  I look at   the Human Rights Council – occasionally chaired by some of the most hostile governments to human rights and see that it  has often been catastrophic to human rights .

Nor do I  see your distinction between government and business – don’t you think that the CCP central committee are also the wealthiest businessmen in China? – that in most repressive societies (Iran, Saudi Arabia, Azerbaijan, Russia) business and government are utterly intertwined – do you want  such governments/business interests to dominate internet policy?   You must know from your time at WGEC that this what they want?.  Who represents my interests as a user in such a world? How is anyone represented?

And to be clear - I say this with respect for your position as I think you have valid concerns and we probably share the same goals – while clearly disagreeing on the means