[governance] Re: [bestbits] Three NETmundial submissions launched for endorsement at bestbits.net

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 23:02:30 EST 2014

Ah. the "if I ruled the world" challenge. yes, flattering but ultimately
inconsequential. I don't (thank god) rule the world. So my off the cuff
solutions aren't worth all that much.

I did a major project in sub-Saharan Africa last year with Mwaki among
others addressing more or less this very question. and the answer was. it's
complicated.

It involved strengthening broad structures of governance, putting technology
infrastructures into (the right) place(s), training, developing appropriate
mechanisms for consultation/decision making. And yes the answer was
multi-stakeholder . but. not multistakeholderist. multi-stakeholder within a
context which could accommodate and contain and make multi-stakeholder
consultation and participation meaningful and useful for all concerned
including to strengthen democratic governance and particularly figuring out
how to get governmental structures to adapt and respond. To some degree this
would be done in parallel to existing democratic processes but interwoven
with them to use the democracy to reinforce the consultations and the
consultations to deepen and reinforce the democracy.

Sorry if this is tedious and not glib enough for you but given world enough
and time my guess is that this kind of thing could work as well in
Ouagadougou as in downtown Tehran. not sure about Hackney/Georgetown but it
seems to work well enough in Teeside and if we can get these things to work
in Ouga and Tehran and Teeside - well "first we take Manhattan and then we
take Berlin.. *

(And BTW it's not me who is agitating to jettison 300 or so years of
democracy in favour of some pig in a poke hatched in some US think tank and
being foisted on the world by a self-interested cabal of the US State
Department, Google,  various other OECD private corps, and certain selected
"civil society" organizations including your own it would appear**

*Leonard Cohen..
http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/First-We-Take-Manhattan-lyrics-Leonar
d-Cohen/926CCB64249F308848256AF00028CB85

**TOWARD A SINGLE GLOBAL DIGITAL ECONOMY
http://www.aspeninstitute.org/sites/default/files/content/upload/Toward_a_Si
ngle_Global_Digital_Economy_Aspen_IDEA_Project_0.pdf