[governance] Re: [bestbits] Three NETmundial submissions launched for endorsement at bestbits.net

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Mon Mar 10 15:21:41 EDT 2014

Dear Michael,
I would equally like a clear statement from you as to how transnational
"democracy" should work for Internet-related policy making.  How would
these "democratic" decisions be enforced?

And, if Amazon is to pay taxes, they should not get a voice in the tax
debate?  Should only those who do not pay taxes have a voice in the tax
debate?  How is that democratic?

Regards,
Pranesh

michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> [2014-03-08 10:48:03]:
> Maybe I'm wrong and I would be delighted to see one of the MSists actually
> come out with a clear articulation of what they mean by MSism or a MS
> process but my understanding is that MSism is where the various
> "stakeholders" i.e. the private sector among others have a direct role in
> deciding (i.e. have direct inputs into consensus outputs) concerning issues
> of public policy significance arising out of Internet developments.
>
> What that means to me is that for example, Amazon gets to have a direct
> input into establishing global taxation policy related to the Internet,
> Google as a "stakeholder" is directly involved in establishing global policy
> concerning Intellectual Property Rights, Facebook as a matter of stakeholder
> "rights" helps determine global standards and regulation concerning privacy
> and so on and so on. Perhaps one of the guru's of MSism--Wolfgang, Bertrand,
> Jeanette--might explain exactly where I've misunderstood.

Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society
T: +91 80 40926283 | W: http://cis-india.org
Access to Knowledge Fellow, Information Society Project, Yale Law School
M: +1 520 314 7147 | W: http://yaleisp.org
PGP ID: 0x1D5C5F07 | Twitter: https://twitter.com/pranesh_prakash