[governance] Re: [bestbits] Three NETmundial submissions launched for endorsement at bestbits.net

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Mon Mar 10 15:16:39 EDT 2014

parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> [2014-03-08 2:03:38]:
> Conversely, since there is considerable interest here in
> multistakeholder policy making, even at national levels, would you
> support pharma companies, for instance, sitting in bodies making -
> actually making - health and drug policies, and big publishers in
> education policy making, and so on...

Yes, I would support pharmaceutical companies actually being part of the
health policy drafting process, just as I support publishers — the very
publishers I've been fighting against in the parallel importation battle
going on in India right now — having a role in policymaking around
copyright.  It would be undemocratic, to say the least, to not have them
at the table.

(That is not to say that I believe Wolfgang is right in the
problem-solving abilities of multi-stakeholder decision-making processes
by relying on IETF as the example.)

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society