[bestbits] Call to Best Bits participants for nominations to Brazil meeting committees

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jan 3 12:16:21 EST 2014

Hi All

Since I proposed the marginalised groups linkage/ representation
criterion, I think I must defend it...

Apparently, it is being proposed that it is difficult to ascertain
linkages with marginalised groups and causes . Some of the same people
are very keen on 'being able to work with other stakeholders' as a
rather more important as well as ascertainable criterion..

Such a position IMHO represents the core of what my organisation and
many other groups see as problematic with a good amount of civil society
currently engaged with IG... Firstly, it it patently wrong to say that
it is more difficult to assess the nature of a civil group's or even
individual's work and linkages with different causes and interest groups
than it is to assess a person's likeability among other stakeholders
(and of course, with 'other stakeholders' here we mostly mean big
business and the technical community, also quite often on the roll of
big business, which itself is a rather limited view of 'stakeholders'))
. Secondly, it seems to valorise (or at least has the practical effect
of doing so) the extent of relationship building with big business and
some other groups close to big business over the representation of
interests of marginalised groups and causes ...

First, about the criterion of representation of marginalised groups/
causes.... In fact, in most of civil society spaces that I am familiar
with, it is indeed almost necessary to have (demonstratable) linkages
with marginalised groups and causes. Such linkages can of course rather
easily be demonstrated, if they exist... From the predominate nature of
ones work, positions, pronouncements, etc, and also from the visible
work/ activity linkages to other groups, grass-root communities, and so
on.... I have no idea why would one consider this as difficult to
demonstrate..

Next, about the criterion of 'being able to work with other stakeholders
- first of all,  I would ask those who push this criterion as one of the
most important one to tell us, what are their verifiable means of
asserting/ using it. To me it appears as a subjective behavioural
assessment. In a patently political process, political criteria have to
be given much greater importance than subjective behavioural ones, which
can easily be mis- applied.    Next, also please clarify which all
stakeholders you consider as the ones that every potential nominee
should be able to work with.

Pending the explanation, let me speculate a bit... I suspect, the
stakeholders that are meant here - or generally, in relation to which
this criterion gets applied - is business community and the technical
community ( defined as being those directly engaged with or close to 1*
group). Now, people will need to be blind to not see that the business
community in IG spaces is the big global business. Or even much of
technical community around also have close relationships with big
business. For instance, excellent human beings that the involved persons
may be,  I could never fathom why ISOC has to take their successive CEOs
from the US telco industry, which, if you really look at it, is perhaps
the biggest enemy of an 'open Internet' that ISOC professes!. I know by
making such assertions I may be sliding into the category of those who
could be considered as 'not being able to work with other stakeholders'.
What kind of fellow raises questions about the head of the very apex
organisation of the tech community! This is the 'chilling effect' that
this criterion sets in, if applied loosely... Civil society must beware.

Lets get real! In the civil society that I move around in, being too
friendly with a Microsoft, or Monsanto or Shell is not considered a
virtue ... It is rather more likely to make you suspect... The main
raison d'etre of civil society is to ask difficult questions, and ask
them ceaselessly, from those in power - include big corporates, and
those who run powerful tech organisations. Asking such questions is of
course not going to make one popular among them. Dont people here see
that by pushing such selection criterion right to the top, one is
encouraging a wrong kind of civil society...

And why does being able to work with grassroots communities, groups
organised around marginalised interests and causes, and well of course,
in the global context, with developing country govs not considered as
the ability to work with other stakeholders. (In an overwhelming
majority of global governance spaces, NGOs have not had good working
relationships with at least some developing country govs - trade, IT,
climate change, development policy, health, education global governance
reform,......). It is important to realise that many who can earn a lot
of  points about being close to big business or IG tech community are
likely to (although not , necessarily)  cut a very bad picture if they
were to try and engage with these other groups that I mention here... So
guys, lets open up our sights to look beyond an increasingly narrow
global IG's privileged in-space.

( Vint Cerf can call government types at the ITU as guys with peanut
sized brains, and recently reassert that he enjoyed the strong reception
that his comments got - but he would still be chosen to head a global
multistakeholder IG panel. On the other hand, I may be compromising my
'workability with other stakeholders' even by reporting this fact from
news reports in this manner!It is always about power isnt it...But isnt
civil society the one that has to resist 'power'? )

Various kind of 'criteria for selection' denote what is valued by a
group, which tends to set norms of defining the nature of a group, here
of civil society involved in IG spaces.... I think anyone doing any kind
of selection should specifically ask for details of how every applicant
connects to issues and groups that are typically marginalised and
under-represented... And while assessing 'ability of work with other
stakeholders' be clear what exactly is meant - including what kind of
stakeholders are being considered, and what is the meaning of being able
to work with them.

parminder