[bestbits] emails to Adiel

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Jan 8 00:46:03 EST 2014

On Tuesday 07 January 2014 10:26 PM, Carolina Rossini wrote:
> Dear folks,
>
> Adiel will be the person in the meeting in Brazil on January 10th.
> Folks in Brazil want this "1Net" fictional entity to filter ALL
> conversations with CGI.

Carolina

Your description of 1Net and its role as seen by LOG is interesting. The
point is; does civil society agree to this arrangement - of 1Net
filtering all conversations with CGI... or have we simply become a
pushover (willing?) for the powerful to make deals among themselves.
That would be such a shame, and I have begun to get this feeling that we
are fast getting there if not already there.

/*Do we want to write to LOG/ CGI that this arrangement is not
acceptable to us? I request that list members give their response to
this. */

That reminds me: at Bali, this issue was much discussed and four
prominent civil society groups (IGC, BB, APC and IRP) together agreed
that, no this arrangement is not acceptable to us (Please let me know if
this is *not* what people thing got agreed) and decided to send a letter
to Brazilians to the effect, and also putting forward 4 CS Liaisons, who
were requested to be invited to all meetings related to organising the
Brazil meeting. (Quite inexplicably though the drafting and sending of
the letter got highly delayed even after this decision.)

Caroline, you, and Joana and Laura were 3 liaisons . Why did you not
keep us posted about what was happening in Brazil... Did you insist that
you be invited to all meetings? If so, what was their response? Why did
you not share their response with all of us? Why when, while such is in
any case the duty of any CS rep, the letter clearly said that the
Liaisons will keep CS groups posted about developments. However, whereas
much has happened since that time, I dont remember a single report by
the liaisons to us. Carlos used to report but then he had to drop out
since he was made a member of LOG. But what about the three of you?

When after the last LOG meeting, we got the bombshell that it has been
officially decided that 1Net will as you say 'filter ALL conversations
with CGI' I wrote repeatedly to this list requesting CS Liaisons to
bring us to speed about what is happening. In fact, even Ian (and I
think Jeremy) asked for some information about what was happening. But
NONE of you responded to any of our requests....

I think. sorry for my words, but this is about  a public duty, and
seeking accountability about it,  this is a clear abdication of the role
that you all were given as CS reps... I am sure there must be an
explanation of this somewhere, in which case please do share it.

Thanks, parminder