[bestbits] substantive proposals for Brazil summit - IG governance

Daniel Pimienta pimienta at funredes.org
Mon Jan 13 09:09:11 EST 2014

>Careful here.  The Tunis Agenda sets out a separate process on ICTs
>for development, but this should not be confused with the parts of
>the Tunis Agenda on Internet governance arrangements.  In the
>WSIS+10 process the Internet governance aspects have been explicitly
>separated out and I think this was a good idea.

This is a difficult question indeed.

My perception from the field is that ICT4D has been fading out after
Tunis and today has almost disappeared from the international agenda
(mainly in terms of budget, as discourses always keep rolling).
Governance has become the new priority and buzzword of international
cooperation.

In this context I am not sure this separation is a good idea and
anyway some issues are transversal and I seriously doubt that
governance is a matter independant from gender, of course; from
cultural and language diversity (which I see is slowly penetrating
the agenda); but ...also from development.

The question is to know if the best answers to governance issues are
the same in the industrial world and the developing world; I do not
think they are always and global governance issues need to be focused
with considerations embracing development.

believed to be clean.