[bestbits] To 1Net or Not to 1Net, let's be clear on the question

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun Jan 12 11:08:00 EST 2014

On 12-Jan-14 10:46, michael gurstein wrote:
> ” if the process of nominating for and selecting the SC wasn’t so
> obviously skewed, restrictive, self-selecting and exclusionary to begin
> with.

There is almost always a bootstrapping problem on any new organization
or movement.  In many case it is a self selected group of venerables as
we saw with Bestbits.  In process Ian used ass well as the /1net case it
was a bit more distributed than that.

I tend to think that the methods by which the /1net-sc is renewed in the
future is one of the issues the /1net-sc and discuss-list will need to
work on for the selection of future /1net-sc members.

And this is always a thorny issue. Notice that the IGF MAG, even with
the paternalistic selection process managed by the UNSG or his
designated other, still functions in a manner many consider
unsatisfactory after all these years.

I personally think the /1net bootstrap was one of the better ones I have
seen.  Each of the 4 TA-named groups was given a chance to figure out on
its own how to configure itself for representation.  Personally I am
most impressed by the way Giganet went about it, in that they did a
first selection and then reworked it when they were informed of issues.

avri