[bestbits] Fwd: Re: [discuss] cgi.br release regarding Brazil Global MSM on Internet Governance

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jan 11 00:19:02 EST 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [discuss] cgi.br release regarding Brazil Global MSM on
Internet Governance
Date: 	Sat, 11 Jan 2014 10:45:00 +0530
From: 	parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>
To: 	discuss at 1net.org

On Saturday 11 January 2014 09:49 AM, John Curran wrote:
> 1net Participants -
>
>     There appears to be an updated announcement regarding the Brazil meeting -
>     http://www.cgi.br/brmeeting/announcement2.html

from the announcement.

"The meeting is a partnership between CGI.br and /1net."

So, John, do you still hold that 1Net is yet only a discussion space and
it is upto its steering committee to make it what it wants to.... Most
respectfully, but can we at least now shed this fiction... But of course
I will be told now - what can 1Net do if the Brazilians are intent on
thrusting this momentous role on 1Net? Of course 1Net did not ask for
this role, for there is no 1Net. But then are we allowed to make guesses
who did, nay insisted, nay extracted it. Why dont we just play open and
fair... Everyone has the right to put their views out forcefully, to
make alliances with whoever they can, but this is not that...

This is completely disregarding 4 key civil society networks who said at
Bali - and then formally through a letter - that they were not going
through 1Net but want to be directly involved in the Brazilian meeting.
So, civil society is told, no... your views do not count... And a non
existent 1Net is told, well, you take over.... One is really
disappointed. This was not what President Rousseff started with. We were
trying to make a new start. Seek new directions on where global Internet
should go...

parminder