[bestbits] Fwd: Re: CSTD WG on EC - input on mechanisms required

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jan 10 03:43:01 EST 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: CSTD WG on EC - input on mechanisms required
Date: 	Fri, 10 Jan 2014 14:09:43 +0530
From: 	Parminder <parminder.js at gmail.com>
To: 	Correspondence Group of the WGEC <CGEC at LIST.UNICC.ORG>
CC: 	Private Sector Phil Rushton <philip.m.rushton at BT.COM>

Dear Phil

Thanks for beginning this important exercise.

Respectfully, I will like to point two issues with your exercise framing
email below, which has already led to some confusion in some civil
society groups to which it was forwarded.

Firstly, the agreed language of the ToR of the group is to identify
existing 'international mechanism' that may be addressing the listed
issues and not to identify 'where mechanism of enhanced cooperation
exists'....

The distinction is important, as you have seen during the debates,
because there is no unanimity yet on what can be called as 'enhanced
cooperation' and many WGE members have said that in their opinion
'enhanced cooperation' has not yet taken off. To quote from India's
response, for instance. "Enhanced Cooperation, as envisaged in Paras 68
and 69 of the Tunis Agenda, has not been realized." There are many other
similar submissions. Your framing will put those who think so in a very
difficult situation. Would filling in anything at all about some
international mechanism mean that they admit that EC is taking place?
Or, alternatively, to be safe, shouldtheysimply not participate in this
exercise.

It is therefore best to stick to the exact language of the ToR, which
you know was negotiated over a long time.I am enclosing the group's ToR
for easy reference.

Secondly, out of the four tasks for the correspondence group, task (d)
which is to "attempt to identify the gaps" is the most important one,
and earlier tasks (a), (b) and (c) are to be undertaken with a view to
be able to contribute to (d)... This sequence and hierarchy is also
clear from the agreed ToR which links point (d) directly with the
recommendations that the group has to come up with. Focussing on "gaps"
is also consistent with the original mandate given by UN GA to the WGEC,
that is the real purpose here.

However, your framing email below, while mentioning points (a), (b) and
(c) from the ToR, completely omits point (d), which is the most
important one, and to which others must lead towards. It is important
that against each issue category, group members are able to make
comments about the nature of the gaps they see. Otherwise we will simply
have some listing against each category by those who think an issue is
being addressed by so and so, but those who think there is a gap there
will not be able to make any comment. For instance, I can see that IGF
will be listed against each category (it being a different matter that
it is universally known IGF does not "address" any public policies in
the sense of developing public policies which is the issue under the EC
rubric).

Just trying to make the work of the CG more purposeful and useful for
final recommendations of the WGEC.

Thanks and best regards

parminder