[bestbits] [discuss] [governance] Meeting in São Paulo on Friday, January 10th, is between the LOG and 1Net

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 17:46:34 EST 2014

Hmmm

From: bestbits-request at lists.bestbits.net
[mailto:bestbits-request at lists.bestbits.net] On Behalf Of Jeremy Malcolm
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2014 9:40 PM
To: parminder
Cc: William Drake; Joana Varon; Best Bits; governance at lists.igcaucus.org
Subject: Re: [bestbits] [discuss] [governance] Meeting in São Paulo on
Friday, January 10th, is between the LOG and 1Net

[MG>] snip

Well lack of transparency, lack of processes for legitimate accountability,
self and insider dealing, self-interested processes of exclusion,
delegitimizing and marginalizing of critical or alternative perspectives,
i.e. an overall illegitimacy of process and outcome are what they are and so
far no one has either disputed or responded to my calling various of the
self-appointed “Coordinators, Steering committee members, Facilitators
etc.etc.” out on these “bad behaviours”

*	Rather, the civil society IG coordination group has handled (or is
handling) the process for nominations.  (We do realise that Michael Gurstein
is not happy about this, nor is he happy about 1net, or Best Bits, or....)

[MG>] My problem/”unhappiness” results from the fact that I would very much
like to see the Brazil process succeed
 I think the Internet and all of it’s
users (and non-users) would benefit from such a “success” but I’m having
considerable difficulty in seeing how outcomes contributory to the general
good can emerge from input processes such as these.

Hopefully this clarifies the process, and sorry that it wasn't clear enough
already.  Parminder I realise that point 5 above is likely unsatisfactory to
you because it doesn't firmly break the plank of legitimacy that the LOG has
extended to 1net, but... it's intended as a bit of a compromise.

Ian can clarify further if needs be, since he is the chair of the
coordination group.

--

Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge hub |
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone>
http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/>  |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality> . Don't print
this email unless necessary.

WARNING: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly recommended to
enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For instructions, see
<http://jere.my/l/8m> http://jere.my/l/8m.