[bestbits] Re: [discuss] [governance] Meeting in São Paulo on Friday, January 10th, is between the LOG and 1Net

Joana Varon joana at varonferraz.com
Thu Jan 9 07:48:56 EST 2014

Dear Parminder,

Sorry for not clarifing this yesterday, was having hard time to find ur msg
again in the deep sea of emails in my inbox.

All I can say is that, unfortunately, the Brazilian government has never
taken into consideration the role of the liaisons. We were never invited to
any single meeting that has been assembled with ICANN and interactions were
always about us knocking on everyones doors to try to be informed. On the
other hand, this nomination did serve as an incentive for the four/three of
us to get together and work to assemble information through different
channels and communicate whatever we could grasp to the international
community. As Carolina has already explained in a previous email exchange
with you. If it was not good enough, be assure, we have been doing our
best.

My email to Glaser mentioning to consider 1net steering was because he
mentioned that the meeting was with "LOG and representatives from 1net". If
that was the scope of the conversation, my natural reaction was to wonder:
which 1net representative? If 1net had just passed through a process of
electing representatives, why not referring to the elected ones? Basically,
I was just working in the scope of possibilities that the LOG has given us
with that email.

The capacity of 1net to be a truly multistakeholder is yet to be seen. The
steering have just been formed. So, of course, I'm not defending 1net's
role, as we still don't know what it is. My intention was to pass this
message to LOG: if 1net is meant to be legitimate, or is meant to be the
conduit by any form, which is questionable, then, please, refer also to
elected representatives of that network. Otherwise, we would be there just
to legitimate something else, I role that I'm not comfortable with.

That's basically it. Sorry if my msg was unclear to you by any chance (I
know that, at least for the other liaisons, it would not be taken as any
kind of action to exclude then. We cannot be excluded, if we were never
included. We are working in the sense that if two ears or one mouth from
the three of us in on the room, it is already a win.)

Looking forward for the committees to be formed so we can stop jumping at
people's windoms to collect information or drop suggestions that might not
be taken into consideration. So we could focus on what pleasures me the
most: research and building collective solutions.

Hope it makes it clear to you. I know you are annoyed by many questions,
but we are all annoyed and anxious too. Just the reactions are different,
I've been trying to keep the positivity and patience, as the challenge LOG
is facing is huge and I still trust they have the best of intentions. Maybe
I'm naive.

all the best

joana

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 4:26 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 07 January 2014 10:02 PM, Joana Varon wrote:
>
>  Dear Glaser,
>
> Is it possible that at least those who were elected in the
> steering/coordination committee of 1net could also attend the next planning
> meetings?
>
> At least from CS, it has been a demand from some representatives in the
> various lists where Adiel's report was shared that at least representatives
> from international civil society should attend such meetings to report back
> to it's constituencies.
>
> As 1net has been pointed as a conduit by the LOG, and we are now trying to
> create some legitimacy for this network by electing it's representatives
> for the steering/coordination committee, I think that at least enabling
> elected representatives for 1net to attend and report back should be a way
> forward to start opening up the planing process while the Br committees are
> not formed yet.
>

> Joana
>
> Before you were sent to 1Net by some CS groups (for a task never too clear
> to me) you were asked to be CS Liaison to the Brazilians to ensure that CS
> has a direct relationship with them and our that relationship is not
> mediated. I remember that at Bali your views were also quite strong on this
> issue. Now you are slipping in an acceptance of the 1Net's mediating role
> as fait accompli, and telling us that you are trying to contribute to
> building legitimacy for 1Net..
>
> I must admit, i remain thoroughly surprised by whatever is happening, and
> in the closed manner that it is happening...
>
> Hope that we can hear some words of clarification from you and others...
>
> parminder
>
>   IMHO I think that would even help CGI to speed up this process.
>
>  all the best
>
>  joana

> Joana Varon Ferraz
> @joana_varon
> researcher
> Center for Technology and Society
> Fundação Getulio Vargas
> PGP 0x016B8E73
>

> On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Hartmut Richard Glaser <glaser at cgi.br>wrote:
>

>> *URGENT INFORMATION**/CLARIFICATION*
>>

>> Dear All,
>>
>> There will be a face-to-face meeting in Brazil on Friday, January 10th, between the
>> local organizing group (LOG) and representatives of 1Net to sort out relevant details
>> related to the Brazil Meeting process, in particular the organization of the meeting's
>> committees.
>> *This is not a meeting of any of the committees planned for the event's* *process,* since
>> they are not yet constituted. We hope that by January 15th the nominations from all
>> stakeholders will be in place for all committees to start their work.
>>
>> Thanks for your support.
>> Local Organizing Group/CGI.br
>> BR Meeting - Global Multistakeholder Meeting
>> on the Future of Internet Governance

>>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

Joana Varon Ferraz
@joana_varon