[bestbits] Draft joint letter on deliberative democratic processes for the Brazil meeting

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 15:34:26 EST 2014

Dear all,

Talking to Joana we reached the conclusion that there may have been some
misunderstanding regarding the meaning of a synthesis paper. The synthesis
will be just a compilation of all proposals presented to the meeting. It
will present all range of opinions about the two agenda items. It will be
done by the Secretariat that gives support to the meeting (Mr. Daniel
Fink's team).

In the last EMC meeting we mentioned that, in addition to the synthesis
document, maybe it would be interesting to have one draft text as input to
the meeting. This draft text would be based on the synthesis document but
would suggest one way forward for principles and for the discussion about
frameworks. Of course, the participants of the meeting would be free to use
this document, or discard it, or change it as they deem appropriate. The
draft texts would be only a starting point. This was something that EMC
mentioned, but no decision was made about it yet. So at this stage we are
not certain if the synthesis (compilation) will led to other document or
not. As far as I understood, Joana's suggestion was that we do have draft
text and that this document is placed under consultation online.

I agreed with that in first message. My point was that, considering that
the synthesis will come out on March 7, we should think about the schedule
and see if there is time to produce a draft text, place it under
consultation and compile the suggestions from the consultation afterwards.

Best!
Marília