[bestbits] For sign on: Letter to co-facilitators of WSIS+10 negotiations

Deborah Brown deborah at accessnow.org
Tue Feb 4 13:19:55 EST 2014

Dear all,

The letter to the co-facilitators of negotiations on the overall WSIS+10
review is now posted for sign on: http://bestbits.net/wsis10-modalities/

Thanks to all who sent feedback. I tried to incorporate all edits as much
as possible.

Please add your endorsement *by Monday, 10 February*.

Kind regards,
Deborah

*Letter to co-facilitators calling for civil society input into
negotiations on WSIS+10 modalities*

February 4, 2014

H.E. Mr. Mohamed Khaled Khiari
Permanent Mission of Tunisia to the United Nations
31 Beekman Place
New York, N.Y. 10022

H.E. Mr. Jarmo Viinanen
Permanent Mission of Finland to the United Nations
866 United Nations Plaza, Suite 222
New York, N.Y. 10017

Your Excellencies,

We, the undersigned, are writing as members of civil society deeply engaged
in Internet governance and ICT for development issues. Many of us have been
engaged in this field since the inception of World Summit on the
Information Society (WSIS).

At the outset, we would like to congratulate you on your appointment as
co-facilitators of the General Assembly's open intergovernmental
consultations to finalize the modalities for the overall review of the
implementation of the outcomes of WSIS.

We feel strongly that all stages of the overall WSIS review process should
be open to all interested stakeholders. As members of global civil society,
we have been contributing to the WSIS review process that is currently
underway and would welcome the opportunity to input into the informal
consultations you are facilitating and serve as resources in these
processes.

The modalities for the overall review must embody the spirit of WSIS and
take into account the progress and growing recognition of the importance of
multi-stakeholder approaches to internet governance that has been made
since 2005, as exemplified by the Multistakeholder Preparatory Platform for
the WSIS High Level Event and the UNESCO WSIS+10 Review Event, but also the
Internet Governance Forum, the Working Group on Internet Governance, the
Working Group on IGF improvements, and the Working Group on Enhanced
Cooperation.

We envision an overall WSIS review that renews and revives commitment to
the Geneva principles' vision of a "people-centred, inclusive,
development-oriented and non-discriminatory Information Society", is rooted
in the international human rights framework, and builds on the achievements
and addresses the challenges experienced in the 10 years since WSIS.

Additionally, we would welcome efforts to find synergies and
synchronicities between the overall WSIS review and the post-2015
development agenda, and in this context we would encourage the development
of more concrete, measurable targets relating to ICTs and development.

To conclude, we, the undersigned, consider it critical that the modalities
of the overall WSIS review take into account the viewpoints of all
stakeholders and establish concrete mechanisms for civil society to channel
its contributions, including through remote participation. Therefore, we,
as members of global civil society, would like to request an opportunity to
input into the informal consultations that you are facilitating and as well
as to engage more formally in the preparatory process to the overall
review.

--
Deborah Brown
Senior Policy Analyst