[bestbits] note: ICCPR review on US

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 12:31:40 EST 2014

Dear all,

I just want to be sure we are all aware,  but some of you may already know,
that the US is going through its ICCPR review at the Human Rights Committee
in March 2014.

Note that this process began before the Snowden revelations began (way
before!), but the list of issues that the US was asked to respond to did
address NSA surveillance: The Committee asked the US to "provide
information on steps taken to ensure judicial oversight over NSA
surveillance of phone, email and fax communications both within and outside
the State party." and more.

NGOs who have not previously submitted comments can still do so now. The
due date for submission is *February 14 *- see attached NGO note for more
information about the process.

Session information and previous submissions available here:
http://tbinternet.ohchr.org/_layouts/treatybodyexternal/SessionDetails1.aspx?SessionID=625&Lang=en

Is this a process Best Bits could/should work on? The submissions can be
short, 2 pages for instance.

Carol

--
*Carolina Rossini*
*Project Director, Latin America Resource Center*