[bestbits] substantive proposals for Brazil summit - IG governance

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Feb 4 03:07:52 EST 2014

Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:

> I can see the wisdom of the original pronouncement that we wouldn't be
> dealing with particular substantive issues, but rather on
> cross-cutting principles and mechanisms.

But how can anyone reach reasonably well-founded conclusions in regard
to cross-cutting principles and mechanisms without looking at particular
substantive issues, and reflecting what principles and mechanisms have
proved to be effective or not in those particular contexts?

This process could reasonably start with looking a few issues which are
relatively well understood because they have been receiving a lot of
attention recently (like e.g. privacy issues), but ultimately in order
to achieve a reasonable overall understanding on cross-cutting
principles and mechanisms, the examples of issues that should be
discussed as the basis for thereafter abstracting cross-cutting
principles and mechanisms must also include other issues. In particular
I believe that it is absolutely necessary to look at what are the
appropriate principles and mechanisms in regard to substantive issues
which so far have not been a significant part of the mainstream
discourse because the people and groups who are particularly concerned
about those issues were being subjected to marginalization.

Greetings,
Norbert