[bestbits] substantive proposals for Brazil summit - IG governance

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Tue Feb 4 02:31:02 EST 2014

On 03/02/14 23:09, Andrew Puddephatt wrote:
> Three examples might be:
>
> 1.       Net neutrality
>
> 2.       Protection for personal privacy
>
> 3.       Affordable access
>
> We could say that whatever arrangements on governance are considered
> that we call on governments and other stakeholders to guarantee these
> three objectives both at the  international level and in national
> policies.
>

> I would have thought we have a fighting chance of getting endorsement
> for this in a two day conference

I have my doubts.  If we start cherry-picking issues, where will we
stop?  The technical community will say "Well if we're including net
neutrality, why not IPv6 transition?"  Civil society colleages will say
(and quite rightly) "If privacy, why not freedom of expression?" etc.
Also, within your examples, affordable access falls into a different
category than the other two, having less to do with global public policy
principles.

I can see the wisdom of the original pronouncement that we wouldn't be
dealing with particular substantive issues, but rather on cross-cutting
principles and mechanisms.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

*WCRD 2014 - Fix Our Phone Rights!* |
http://consint.info/fix-our-phone-rights

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
<http://www.facebook.com/consumersinternational>

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't
print this email unless necessary.

*WARNING*: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.