[bestbits] substantive proposals for Brazil summit - IG governance

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Mon Feb 3 05:38:58 EST 2014

On 3 Feb 2014, at 3:51 am, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:

> Multistakeholderism is, to at least some parties, a wonderful mask to aid industry dominance with no governmental involvement whatsoever.  And here the dominant industry players often find willing supporters in the technical community. I think civil society needs to be clear that, if it supports multistakeholderism, it is not giving support to no governmental involvement at all or to unregulated industry dominance. I think this is a real debate we have to have.
>
> And I think we need to be honest about the fact that not all stakeholders have equal power in this – civil society arguments do not carry the weight of the large internet corporations, and to pretend that ms-ism somehow changes this imbalance is either naive or deliberately misleading.
>
> I mention this here because, by the looks of Brazil and the way the agenda is shaping up, we are going to talk about principles for governance, and this word multistakeholderism is going to be front and centre. I think we need to unwrap it a little and state clearly that the real issues going on are between governmental and industry control, neither of which of itself is of itself a satisfactory model.

Brilliantly put Ian.  Agree that this will be a key differentiator between what civil society puts forward for the meeting and what (if anything) 1net may put forward.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

WCRD 2014 - Fix Our Phone Rights! | http://consint.info/fix-our-phone-rights

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.

WARNING: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.