[bestbits] Fwd: [Internet Policy] IGF 2014 Consultation - ISOC Submission

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Feb 11 07:07:22 EST 2014

On Tuesday 11 February 2014 03:29 PM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> This is a BIG step for ISOC.  Finally they are suggesting the IGF
> produce policy outcome documents open for voluntary adoption, based on
> the IETF process... something they had been fiercely resisting for years!

Public policies are not technical standards to be voluntarily adopted...
(even technical standards have often to be mandatory - as you know
Microsoft for instance will never  - and did not - voluntarily adopt
inter operability standards for document software) ... This is an
entirely new kind of political-ese to talk of voluntary adoption of
public policies, which is post-democratic in essence. These are
frameworks for working outside democratic politics. Voluntary adoption
of public policies is similar to 'coalition of the willing' for
political action and I am sure you know what it means and implies.. Th
powerful shall inherit the world....

Everyone can see what slope we are slipping on..

parminder