[bestbits] Courtesy Visa for Turkey and funding

Subi Chaturvedi subi.igp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 00:59:54 EDT 2014

Robert I checked on the refund early. The host country reps have
confirmed,  due to internal processes a refund is not possible at the
venue.

If a courtesy visa is to be availed one needs to apply in person at the
embassy.

The e-visa is a simpler process. But the visa fee will have to be paid.

Regards

Subi Chaturvedi

On 28 Aug 2014 19:52, "Robert Guerra" <rguerra at privaterra.org> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I just got a e-visa as mentioned on the IGF host country website. It
wasn’t free, but just took 5 min to obtain.

> The Indonesian govt last year refunded participants who paid for a visa.
Will the same occur this year?

mgodwin at INTERNEWS.ORG> wrote:

>> Sorry to come back to this so late, but preparations have been a
distraction.

>> I have confirmation of my attendance at IGF, of course, but I’m not sure
what is being referred to with regard to the “visa support letter.” Since I
am planning to visit the embassy in Washington, DC, tomorrow to ask for the
courtesy visa, can someone here advise?

governance at lists.igcaucus.org>
>> Subject: Re: [bestbits] Courtesy Visa for Turkey and funding
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Yes, no change from when I reported this last week, at
missions/embassies only, alas not upon arrival or online.

>> Bill
>>
>> On Aug 12, 2014, at 6:11 PM, Subi Chaturvedi <subi.igp at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>> Heads up on the IGF 2014 participation.  Government of Turkey has
confirmed courtesy visas for all.
>>> They will however need you to apply at your local Turkish Embassy/
Mission in person.
>>> The letter confirming your paticipation at the IGF and the visa support
letter will entitle you to the visa application fee waiver ( Courtesy Visa).
>>> Hope to see you all in large numbers at the IGF. Thanks Bill for
raising the issue.Glad to see that this story has a happy ending.
>>> In addition to the Visa we'd also put out a call to raise funding
support for civil society and academia participants. Most major
organisations are past their application deadlines. But this is a shout out
to all CS networks and donors to pool resources and assist others. Large
universities and grant making bodies included, through travel
grants/fellowships. Even if you can do part funding it will amplify CS
participation.
>>> Given the fact that we are close to the #post2015 agenda we must be
present physically in large nos. Though we have remote participation,
there's nothing like being there.
>>> This year there's also a designated Open space which allows for greater
engagement and informal spontaneous discussions.
>>> I'd also like to see greater synergies between different networks in
amplyfying support for each other and becoming enablers. ( Just my Santa
wishlist).
>>> If possible donors could volunteer then co-cos could maybe match the
receipients organically with donors off-list. I am aware of many worthy
participants/ experts and new comers who would add tremendous value by
being there. Let's try and do all that we can to facilitate their
presence-Our presence at the IGF.
Igfmaglist at intgovforum.org>, "Aysel KANDEMİR" <akandemir at btk.gov.tr>

missions abroad when they submit the “IGF Registration Confirmation Letter”
including civil society, academia and business participants.

and remain immensely grateful to you, our wonderful and generous hosts.

this valid for all the IGF participants?

business participatants who come and paticipate in the IGF against all odds
and enrich the discourse.

Foreign Affairs, it seems impossible to reimburse the costs of visa
application fee at the IGF venue due to internal rules of the Ministry. In
this respect, we encourage you to apply Turkish embassies and consulates
directly for visa. IGF Registration Confirmation Letter will be enough to
get visa without fee according to a communique issued by Turkish Ministry
of Foreign Affairs dated 21/07/2014 Ref No. KVUD/6749221.

IGF at unog.ch>, MAG-public <Igfmaglist at intgovforum.org>

participants. As has been the previous practice. The previous hosts have
been able to successfully set up kiosks at the IGF venues and reimburse
participants the cost towards the visa application fee. It is a positive
gesture and deserves all attempts at prolongation and continuity.