[bestbits] Nnenna to Keynote at Netmundial - Civil Society major issues

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Apr 16 22:19:18 EDT 2014

On Wednesday 16 April 2014 12:47 PM, Adam Peake wrote:
> snip
>> And it is not just these two governments. President Rousseff in her famed UN speech has directly linked the privacy issue to     democracy... To quote
>>
>> "In the absence of the right to privacy, there can be no true freedom of expression and opinion, and therefore no effective democracy. "
>>
> looks to me you have picked up something very important in that quote.  How about making a comment on paragraph 2, or perhaps add a preamble to paragraph 14 of principles, or paragraph 4 of roadmap?

Adam

When the EMC or whoever did not find it fit to include the term
'democratic' even after specific and repeated recommendation of more
than one government HLC member, do you really think I should bother
recommending that (although you know we did send a document to you all
before your last EMC meeting where you finalised this draft where we
requested you to include 'democratic') ? This apart from the fact that
there is a whole contribution by IT for Change to the open process on
the issue which you were supposed to have read and prepared you draft
having taken it into account. Please see the contribution "Is certain
kind of multistakeholderism a post-democratic ideology? - Need to save
NetMundial outcome documents from crossing some sacred democratic lines
<http://content.netmundial.br/contribution/is-certain-kind-of-multistakeholderism-a-post-democratic-ideology-need-to-save-netmundial-outcome-documents-from-crossing-some-sacred-democratic-lines/300>
".

You will perhaps appreciate our crystal-gazing skills. Why is the
NetMundial behaving exactly as per our worst fears? The answer; it is,
was always, structural to how this event was systematically captured by
status-quo-ist, and its Brazilian leadership, which is where most people
initially posed their trust, has been long displaced.

Maybe, you can explain the compulsions of not putting 'democratic' in
the description of Internet governance mechanisms, when multistakeholder
is mentioned about 500 times.... And please dont behave as if it simply
did not occur to you/EMC, which while being surprising on its own, is
unsustainable as per the above.

BTW, for the sake of transparency, can we please be informed who
prepared the final draft - the EMC or the meeting board (with its civil
society co-chair who is really not civil society
<http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/executive-of-telecom-giant-that-aided-nsa-spying-is-on-india-s-cyber-security-panel/article1-1205483.aspx>)

parminder