[bestbits] LDC's Turning Backs on Multistakeholder Trade Agreements

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at consensus.pro
Sat Apr 12 02:30:30 EDT 2014

For what it is worth, I certainly don't disagree that the existing, very closed, process has serious flaws and needs reform - though I would note that all countries don't behave with the same levels of secrecy. For example, Switzerland publishes the proposals it makes in TISA regularly while many members do not.

Perhaps in your session, Jeremy, it would be worth exploring the different approaches states do take. There will be Swiss representation at the IGF, perhaps asking them to participate would be useful?

It may interest you to know that in my day job working in Geneva I can tell you that Western countries are generally the most secretive. Developing countries are generally the least, and the most interested in input. A supreme irony considering that the West enjoys the promotion of its values internationally with such consistency ;)