[bestbits] Letters from Indian Civil Society organisations to the Chair of NetMundial regarding appointment of civil society co-chair

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Thu Apr 10 05:45:42 EDT 2014

Resending this. Seems not to have gone through earlier.

Anriette

-----------

Dear Parminder and all

I shared the concerns expressed in the original letter from civil
society to the Chair of the NetMundial, and feel that the selection
process of the co-chairs were simply not 'solid' enough. Concerns have
been raised by some of the other co-chairs too. I think it was important
for Indian civil society to send this letter. There are many examples
when selection of non-governmental stakeholders is done in a pretty
roughshod personalised ways. It affects CS most of all, but in this case
selection of the business co-chair has also been questioned. It is an
example of the lack of maturity/clarity etc. in multi-stakeholder
processes which so many of you have discussed.

But I believe that the point has been made, and that the best way to
move forward is to focus on the event, on civil society's voice at the
event, and on our influence on the outcomes.

Engaging in taking this forward at this point would, I believe, put
these at risk, and possibly harm the legitimacy of the overall process.
Consider all the hard work that civil society colleagues in Brazil have
put into this event.  They are working very, very hard to make it
inclusive, to get people CS to Sao Paulo, and to make sure that the
process gives everyone equal voice.

I am not saying the process is perfect, but I think effort has been made
to keep it inclusive and transparent. This is clearly an example of
certain decisions being problematicm - this being one of them. But I
think that they have acknowledged it, and we should move on, and use
this event as the strategic opportunity I still believe it can be.
Co-chair selection should not be seen as a primary way of recognising
CS. It is pretty ceremonial. Far more important for us to look at
whether our views are reflected in the draft outcome docs.

I also believe that continuing with this campaign will damage civil
society in other ways. It is not a constructive struggle. Attacks of a
personal nature against anyone tends to be negative and rarely have
positive outcomes.

At this point we should be looking at the bigger picture of the
substantive issues that we want to be discussed at NetMundial. For
example, I am concerned that surveillance is getting far less focus than
it deserves to. There is just a short reference to mass surveillance in
the draft outcome doc.

Going forward the important challenge for us is to find ways of these
processes become less adhoc in the future.

Anriette

anriette esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
executive director, association for progressive communications
www.apc.org
po box 29755, melville 2109
south africa
tel/fax +27 11 726 1692