[bestbits] Rousseff & Chehade: Brazil will host world event on Internet governance in 2014

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 23:50:57 EDT 2013

Why so pessimistic and cynical everyone.. I may be wrong but this isn't just
about ICANN, although hats off to Fadi for getting this going and putting
that into play

But I would be extremely surprised if the Pres. of Brazil is going to invite
the world to Rio in April next year to discuss names and numbers. Rather my
reading is that she is by-passing the quite evident log-jam at the ITU, the
frivolities of the IGF, the now discredited "Internet Freedom" crusade and
the status quo which it was intended to cast into concrete errr
 (non) rules
and regs.

In fact, I  think she is inviting all of us to figure out how to participate
effectively (and that is among the most interesting elements of the message)
to make some serious decisions about what our collective future might look
like AND in doing this she has completely up set the status quoist,
corporatist, hemegon's applecarts about using the Internet (and its
NSA/GCHQ/CSEC enforcers) to give us the future that they want.

So bravo Dilma (and Fadi) and even if it is only for a short while (before
we all get overcome again by the Walking Dead) let's do some collective
dreaming about how to manage the Internet to build the world that we want
not the one that they wanted us to have (in their interests