[bestbits] Outcome of cyberspace conference in Seoul

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Oct 9 10:00:28 EDT 2013

Chile too now is an OECD member.....

On the larger issue, I am rather surprised and disappointed at the
robust support from developing country people of the OECD 'global'
Internet policy making model - both the process and substance of which
being hugely problematic.... I dont have the time right now to engage
into a discussion, but could not resist expressing my strong feeling in
general about the issue...

Democracy is in itself important, it is not a
if-we-disregard-the-process-issue thing..... And BTW, when it comes to
multistakeholderism, the same
lets-for-the-moment-disregard-the-process-issue proposition never seems
not to apply. Is multistakeholderism then a higher value than democracy?

OECD is a centre price of 'global' Internet policy making today, which
is then exported through one to one or plurilateral deals to developing
countries... It is  a fact that many developing countries fall prey to
this unprincipled approach on narrow short term self interest
consideration.... And playing developing countires against one another
through such short term deals is  a major US/ OECD method of spreading
their regime globally. This is a major axis of global digital
domination.. Civil society interested in democratic values should simply
and roundly criticise such models of global policy making. That is the
only basic attitude that can be taken towards them.

The developing countries who have signed some of the mentioned OECD
documents, are never a part of the core discussions, agenda framing and
final formulation -- and so to pass off their sign on as a measure of
they being a part of the process is a very undemocratic take..... Rest
later.... parmidner