[bestbits] Re: [governance] "technical community fails at multistakeholderism". really?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Oct 9 03:28:29 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 09 October 2013 11:51 AM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> On 09/10/13 13:46, parminder wrote:
>> So, what about civil society groups making a statement welcoming the
>> Montevideo statement, especially its commitment to seeing some
>> substantial progress forward on globalisation of ICANN and IANA
>> functions, and in this context, 'we present the following proposal
>> for the consideration and support of the technical community'.
>
> At least the first part of that (which would be short and simple)
> sounds like a potential output from Best Bits in Bali, and would be a
> good step towards rapprochement with the technical community with whom
> civil society has long been at loggerheads on Internet governance
> reforms.  Suggest you raise it in the session?

First and the second part are organically linked... I have no desire to
provide legitimacy to a technical community statement on the post
Snowden discontent with global IG mechanisms if it is purely a public
relations exercise, which I would see it to be unless they (and
intermediating civil society) show seriousness in engaging with clear
reform proposals.... parminder