[bestbits] [Meeting Report]: friday meeting with fadi et all

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Wed Oct 30 01:02:31 EDT 2013

On 30/10/13 11:44, michael gurstein wrote:

> Thanks for this Joana, it is useful but for me at least it raises more
> questions than it answers.
>

> I think that there is a need for some sort of continuing regular voice
> communiation where there can be queries and answers as they arise.
>

> Does anyone have access to a teleconferencing voice bridge (do we need
> something like that) and could we start to schedule a regular (once
> every two weeks?) teleconference. Time zones of course will be a
> problem but if we rotate the hosting so that everyone gets there
> chance to be getting up at 3 am : ) perhaps it might work.

Good suggestion provided that it supplements, but does not replace, list
discussion.  I would like to suggest that we use Mumble, which is a
secure group VoIP chat.  Instructions are here:

http://bestbits.net/wiki/main/secure-communication-tools/

Currently the instructions specify that you should use a server from
Robert Guerra of Citizen Lab, but this was for testing purposes.  I have
had a few successful dry runs now.  But ultimately if we are to host
regular voice conferences, I will set up our own Best Bits Mumble server.

(Disclaimer: the Best Bits website is not fully restored yet.  Some
functionality, most notably the navigation menu, and the documents
uploaded from our Bali meeting, are still under repair.)

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge
hub | http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
<http://www.facebook.com/consumersinternational>

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't
print this email unless necessary.

*WARNING*: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.