[bestbits] Sign-On Statement regarding the 2014 Internet Governance Summit in Brazil

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 22:48:59 EDT 2013

Jeremy,

I'm wondering how the chapeau for the statement was created and introduced where there is a full-throated endorsement of (let's call it "pig in a poke") MSism i.e.  a multistakeholder model of agenda setting, participation and decision making from its inception.

There is no indication in the initial statement of principles of such an uncritical endorsement.  (I have somewhat parallel reservations about the IGF as well--at least as mentioned in the below--but these are less pressing in the current context of an IGF without the capabilities being pointed to.)

For reasons I've expressed in my blog and elsewhere I find this uncritical/undefined kind of endorsement by CS of MSism extremely problematic and for that reason I can't endorse the statement.

Although I agree that all stakeholders should have a role, I think that there is the issue of a role for those who might not currently be defined (or define themselves) as "stakeholders" (as per Daniel Pimenta's note) and as well the issue of possible subversion or capture of the MS process unless suitable measures are identified and implemented.

I have no doubt that Brazil with its successful experience with CGI and elsewhere in integrating MS processes into on-going processes of democratic governance, participation and decision making, will be able to avoid these.  However, I'm rather less sure of other of the stakeholder groups likely to be involved in the lead up to Brazil and following.