[bestbits] Four principles for presentation at meeting of Montevideo signatories this afternoon

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Sun Oct 20 01:14:39 EDT 2013

Here are the principles that those present in Bali agreed to present at the meeting of Montevideo signatories this afternoon:
The full participation of civil society stakeholders in planning and in the meeting should be guaranteed and resourced.
A strengthened Internet Governance Forum could play a role in the future Internet governance arrangements to be discussed at the event, and they should be linked with CSTD WGEC process as appropriate.
The event should discuss what Internet governance architecture is  required to support an inclusive, people-centric, development-oriented information society. We believe that this requires at the very minimum that such a structure is democratic, in that it should be inclusive of all countries and all stakeholders, and that it protects and promotes human rights.
The event should extend beyond speeches and presentations, and modalities should be developed to allow all stakeholders, including remote participants, to participate on an equal footing.
These could also, I hope, form the core of our statement on the issue, to be finalised after the Bali IGF (as there were suggestions it be a statement rather than a letter).

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge hub |http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.

WARNING: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.